Website Kurbingui Youth Family and Development
Youth Support Worker – Community Youth Response Diversionary (CYRD) – Youth Services
Full time position
Please note that it is a genuine occupational requirement that this position be filled by an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person in accordance with s25 of the Anti-discrimination Act 1991 (Qld).
DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
The vision of Kurbingui Youth and Family Development is to be a deadly organisation that supports our mob on their journey. Our mission is to build a flexible, sustainable organisation based on cultural values that can empower community to reach their potential. The values that we bring to our work are personal growth, harmony, accountability, communication, and teamwork.
About our Organisation
Kurbingui Youth Development Ltd is a not-for-profit community service organisation that offers service to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members, families, children and young people living within the Greater Brisbane, Moreton Bay and South East regions.
Kurbingui delivers various community services covering areas such as employment and training, family support, domestic and family violence, alcohol and substance abuse, cultural education and engagement programs, education support for families and children from preschool to tertiary, recreation and sports, early years, youth, women’s and men’s programs and cultural group activities, and health and nutrition.
The Youth Support Worker is responsible for working with youth who have been identified as at-risk or high risk to engage them in pro-social activities, outreach programs and other early intervention and/or diversionary measures to achieve positive behaviour change. They are required to provide intensive case management services to youth at risk of entering or having entered the justice system. The Youth Support Worker is also responsible for the culturally appropriate delivery of the program, including effective and professional communication with youth.
The position requires work outside normal business hours (if/when required) due to the program offering outreach diversion activities, for example, evening work (if/when required).
To be successful in the role, you will have (Key Selection Criteria):
- Knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies and their cultures, and a general understanding of the issues that are affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in contemporary Australian society.
- Willing and able to work within a cultural competent context and Kurbingui Youth Development’s mission, vision and values.
- Highly developed interpersonal, written, and verbal communication, consultation, negotiation and liaison skills (especially in relation to Indigenous families and communities) including the ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively with young people and their families within a strength-based, trauma-informed practice framework, and collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding, or exposure to Youth Justice and restorative justice practices including relevant legislation, policies and practices in relation to the role of Youth Support Worker in the following areas:
- Youth work
- Youth justice
- Group engagement and facilitation / youth diversionary activities
- FLDM (family-led decision-making)
- Mental health
- Domestic and family violence
- Child protection
6. Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team in the delivery and support of youth who are currently at risk and/or on Youth Justice orders.
7. Demonstrated time management skills, with ability to balance and prioritise various client engagement, administrative, case management and reporting requirements including use of various databases.
- Qualifications and/or equal professional experience in psychology, social work, community services, youth work, with a focus on Youth Justice.
- Blue Card
- Drivers Licence
- Criminal History check, or willing to undertake
This position offers a competitive remuneration package in line with the ‘Fisher’ & ‘316 Regulation’ pay scale and Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010 including:
- 17.5% Annual Leave Loading
- 10.5% Superannuation
- Attractive salary packaging options up to $15,899 (annual limit) with meal entertainment card, and novated lease options
- Ongoing training and professional development opportunities
- Supportive team environment
- Onsite parking and train line next door
How to Apply
Address your application to Deborah Keen, Team Leader, Kurbingui Youth & Family Development. Your application must include a resume and a 1-2 page cover letter that includes a response to the Key Selection Criteria as listed above.
Applications that do not address the Key Selection Criteria will not be considered.
Please note: We review applications on a rolling basis, so would recommend getting your application in as soon as possible.
To request a copy of the position description please email Lisa Russell on email@example.com using the subject line: Youth Support Worker – Youth Services.
Employment is conditional upon maintaining a clear personal history screening checks prior to and throughout employment. A Blue Card must be obtained prior to commencement.
To apply for this job please visit www.seek.com.au.